Collegiate Church of SS. Gervasio and Protasio
Parish Church of the city, dedicated to the Milanese twins martyred in the 4th century AD. The current building was designed by the architect Matthew Zucchi, and was built between 1792 and 1797 on the foundation of the previous 13th century church. Some very interesting elements to see are: the ancient portal in serpentine, which belonged to the ancient Romanesque church that originally stood near Piazza Tibaldi; frescoes and decorations by the Vigezzo painter Lorenzo Peretti (1774-1851); the architrave with the relief of Charlemagne; and the chapel of San Carlo Borromeo, with the important painting by the famous Valsesian painter Tanzio da Varallo, dated 1615.