Monumental Complex of San Martino
San Martino is a locality with ancient origins where, according to legend, there was a pagan temple in ancient times. In this area, remains were discovered of Roman civilization and other more ancient peoples. The monumental complex, built between the 16th and 18th centuries where there was already a small Romanesque chapel, stands apart from the town on top of a plateau overlooking the Verbana plain. The complex includes the parish church, the ossuary chapel, and the cemetery. Construction on the parish church started at the end of the 1500s and was completed in 1615. Subsequent works undertaken to complete and embellish the complex continued until the end of the 19th century and led to its current architecture. West of the pronaos of the church stands the Ossuary Chapel, with its square layout and majestic proportions, probably erected in the first half of the 17th century, because at that time the deceased of the entire Degagna were entombed inside of the church of San Martino. The nearby cemetery which concludes the monumental complex was built in the early years of the 19th century, and has a particular octagonal perimeter. In the centre stands the Oratory of the Blessed Virgin of Sorrows. Near this, is the "san Prenua", the remains of an erratic boulder.